Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Not Only Are You Poor, You're Also Fat

Okay we've all seen the People of Wal-Mart, and maybe sometimes we are the people of Wal-Mart. Hey, I change into robot-emblazoned men's pajama shorts when I get home from work. I won't judge you.

But this headline yesterday made me think there may be a little more than a social stigma attached to being a regular at discount grocery stores - the rising level of obesity among customers at economy grocery stores versus higher-end stores such as Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and the like. In fact, results from a small study cited in the article shows that the percentage of food shoppers who are obese is almost 10 times higher at low-cost grocery stores compared with upscale markets.

And since I shop at both, I guess that puts me at moderate risk for both obesity and fashion-related crimes.

This informal study, which was only conducted in the Seattle area, reaches the conclusion that poverty is a main contributor to the problem of obesity, since people who are stretching their grocery dollar are more likely to buy food with the most calories per penny, and these are likely to be processed foods like pizzas, pastries, white flour products, and other convenience foods.

But I'm a Wal-Mart shopper.  I loathe being there, but I go because I am a cheap bastard and I buy a lot of high-dollar food.  But each time I go, I completely skip the part between the eggs, milk, meats, and produce.  I manage to fill my buggy with fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, eggs, and clean ingredients for breadmaking every time.  The difference here is education - I suspect that the People of Wal-Mart who are trapped in the cycle of buying cheap, processed, unhealthy food are plagued by poverty, but also by lack of education regarding how to make healthier choices. 

It is possible to shop at Wal-Mart and buy healthy food. 

I do it all the time.

Here are some great tips for saving cash on healthy groceries no matter where you shop.

Good day! :)

No comments: