Monday, May 17, 2010

Hey, you gonna eat all that?

Every day, people comment on how just about every time they see me, I am eating.  I take up more than my share in the office fridge and sometimes even use the one downstairs when I start to feel guilty.  And at least a couple of times week someone peers into my lunchbox as they heat up their Ramen noodles and asks, "okay so what do you eat all day?"

Well, I'll tell you, one meal at a time. Today, my mid-morning snack: plain non-fat Greek-style yogurt, about 1 cup of frozen blueberries, and 1/4 cup of muesli.

Nothing like a delicious meal of yogurt, fruit, nuts, and spreadsheets! Yum!

I love this snack because it is tasty, filling, and chock-full of really great fuel.  The Greek yogurt (I buy either Chobani or Dannon Plain Greek) has the obvious bone-building benefits of calcium but also the digestive-enhancing benefits of probiotics for intestinal health.  In a recent study in the International Journal of Obesity, researchers found that obese adults who ate three servings of fat-free yogurt a day as part of a reduced-calorie diet lost 22% more weight and 61% more body fat than those who just cut calories.  I like it especially because it is nice and thick.  Sometimes I make my own, but by the time I get the consistency the way I like it, I've invested $6.00 and 15 hours of my life into three cups of yogurt.  I could be doing cardio!

The blueberries are great because, according to researchers at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, one-half cup gives you twice as many antioxidant nutrients as most Americans consume in an entire day, says lead researcher Ronald Prior, Ph.D in this AARP article. All with just 40 calories, no fat, some vitamin C, and nearly two grams of fiber.


And the muesli (I buy Bob's Red Mill) is the chew factor.  I am big on the chew factor.  If I don't get to CHEW, I don't count it as eating.  I love muesli because it is made with whole oats, nuts, fruit and sometimes seeds. Since it uses whole grain it has a good amount of fiber, and since it contains fruit and no added sugar, its also relatively low in sugar. Depending upon the amount and type of nuts and/or seeds, it can also be high in protein.  But watch the calories - only 1/4 cup of this good stuff packs 110!
 
It's delicious, good for you, and everyone who pops into my office when I am eating it (chew, chew, chew) wants some.
 
So make your own!

No comments: