Monday, August 23, 2010

Oh Captain, My Captain

It's a bittersweet week at the gym.  It's Captain Awesome's last week.  Well, it's his last week training the morning crew.  A couple of weeks ago he announced that at the end of the month he would be changing his schedule and working at night.  Something about grad school, an MBA, blah blah blah, I don't know, I wasn't really listening.  I was too busy trying to pick up the pieces of my broken life.

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  I think I took it pretty well, actually.  The last time he said he was leaving I almost cried.  And then he didn't leave.  But this time he really is.  We met our new trainer, Justin.  He seems cool and I am sure he will be great.  If he's not, I'll make him be great. 

So now we are in our week of lasts.  Today was our last Plyometric Monday.  I jumped over the box.  I JUMPED OVER THE BOX.  For real.  Four risers.  Jumped over it.  I was so estatic that I stood up on my box, saluted Awesome, and said in my best theatre-student voice, "Oh Captain, my Captain."  Unfortunately, Captain Awesome is just a wee whippersnapper who was probably in daycare when that movie came out.

Here's the clip in case you fall into that category.  I highly recommend you watching the whole thing because:

Robert Sean Leonard is soooooo cute. 

I should add him to my Facebook album of Cute Boys Who Look Like My Husband.  Ethan Hawke is cute, too, but not so much in the tall, dark, and handsome way.  Robin Williams is annoying.  Robert Sean Leonard is not in this scene because, well, if you haven't seen it I don't want to ruin it for you.  Anyway, watch it and you'll understand.


So, this week is a tribute to Captain Awesome, who is by far the best trainer I have had to date, and which will likely inflate his already secure ego and make the rest of the week miserable for everyone.  I will really miss working out with him, so much that I kind of hope he flunks out of graduate school so he will come back and teach me how to do cool stuff.

Have you hugged your trainer today? 

No comments: