Thursday, July 22, 2010

From the Recipe Box

People ask me all the time what I eat during the day and I've featured some of my portable cleaneating meals here.  Today, my Change Your Life salad.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I have eaten this salad for lunch almost every day for two years.  Seriously, I have.  I love it that much.  I NEVER get tired of it and when I go to people's houses, they ask me to bring it.  People have put their own twists on it, which I love, and I have even tweaked it a little.  But all in all, this salad has changed my life.

Major food criteria for me are that it must be low-maintenance and easily created in advance, it must be clean and natural without additives or preservatives, and it must be portable.  This salad meets all of those requirements, as I make five of them on Sunday afternoon, stack my little go-boxes in the fridge, and bring one to work with me each day in my insulated lunchbag.  I even put a fork in the container so I am ready in a jif to eat wherever I am.  Completely low-maintenance!

The salad is insanely simple: spinach, strawberries, feta cheese, and baked chicken or turkey.  That's right, no dressing.  It doesn't need it.  I used to put raisins and some Annie's Poppy Seed and Papaya dressing, but as I reduced my sweet tooth I eventually phased those out so I am down to the four key ingredients. 

Here's my salad as I pack it - I put the strawberries (120 g), feta (28 g), and chicken or turkey (85 g) in little ziplocks and stack them on top of the spinach (100 g). 


Then when I go to eat lunch I just combine them and viola!  Fueled and ready to go for the next few hours.


Give it a shot and see how you like it.  Trust me, you can eat this without dressing and your body will thank you in droves for it.  You can't go wrong when you focus on keeping your food fresh, clean, and functional!

Good day!

1 comment:

Fran G. said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for the recipes and ideas for eating clean. You are an inspiration, Heather