Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Whole Wheat Holiday

Yes, I do eat cookies.  Sometimes.  


Okay, hardly ever. But I have Christmas parties coming up and I would be aghast if I offered anyone something I wouldn't eat myself. So I hunkered down in the kitchen to do my darndest to come up with a Christmas party menu that I wouldn't feel like a Grinch about.  Here's what I came up with!  Bon appetit!




Nibbleators (watch your portions!)
Sweet Potato Chips with Mango Salsa
I was going to make these myself but I bought Terra Chips instead.
Green and Red Caramel Apple Kebabs 
they look so pretty!  Then they become a weapon.
Spinach Mini Pizzas
it's actually one big pizza cut into tiny pieces. 


Man (and hungry girl) Food
Turkey Chili
ground turkey breast, tomatoes, onion, corn, black beans, kidney beans, cilantro, and a lotta lotta chili powder!
Whole Grain Jambalaya
whole grain brown rice, chicken, chicken sausage, onion, celery, and other stuff all mixed up together.


What You Came For (the sweet stuff!)
Whole Wheat Pizzelles
my mom told me this was not going to work but she was wrong. 
Flax and Dark Cocoa Buckeyes
a bin of these in my freezer has been tormenting me all week. I had to put a frozen turkey in front of it to block the view. Thankfully they're all gone now.
Carrot Cake Scones with Orange Glaze
featuring real carrots!  And just enough "frosting" to make them seem sinful. But they're not.


Want the recipes? Click on the "Holiday Recipes" tab at the top of this page!  Holiday food gets high marks for being decadent and indulgent, but remember, you can indulge without wrecking your fitness goals.  Do what you can to healthify your recipes and watch those portions.  Lack of portion control is where you get the belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly.  Remember...he sees you when you're eating! 


Ho ho ho!

2 comments:

'Drea said...

I do the same thing now. If I don't eat it, I don't buy it for anyone else.

Your menu items look great.

I've had pineapple and peach salsas but haven't tried the mango yet -- gotta get on that.

Healthy Heather said...

The mango salsa is pretty good. It has a kick I wasn't expecting! I just got it at Target, no special recipe there. :)