Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday Party Tips: Getting Real About Special Food

I know I told you yesterday that we were going to talk about the R in creating SMART goals but I changed my mind. It's my blog and I can do that!  Instead, since its Friday and I know you probably have parties and whatnot this weekend, I want to shove a few more healthy holiday hints down your throat.  Did I say shove? I meant suggest. Strongly suggest.

Today, it's about getting real about “special” food!

Yall, we are lucky enough to live in a country where food is bountiful. We have 24-7 access to Wal-Mart, which carries every vice you can eat. Sure, your mom only makes her special peanut butter cookies once a year, but what’s to stop you from making it in the middle of July (don't do that)? The point? There is no such thing as “limited time offer” when it comes to food.
So, consider this when you head out this weekend:  instead of placing so much emphasis on the food traditions surrounding the holidays, create memories by interacting with your family in a new way that is not food-related. Institute an annual Christmas jog through the park. Break out the puzzles. Play freeze tag. Whatever, just remember – people are a limited-time offer, not food.

It bears saying again: people are a limited-time offer, not food.


Focus on the people.
 
And have a lovely weekend.  We'll talk about setting realistic goals once we come back to the reality of Monday. :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

I like the idea of focussing on people and not the food. That will help! Thanks for all your tips!

Unknown said...

Hmm, I think I've heard this before! Good to hear it again, though!

Healthy Heather said...

Thanks Jen and Karen! It helps me, too! We can always make whatever potato casserole...can't always squeeze our kids. :)