Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Vacation High-Five

Fact: Vacations are awesome. 

Also fact: High fives are awesome.

And when your vacation gives you a high five, that's like awesome to a level that hurts my brain to think about.

I went on vacation last week and it was wonderful.  Chicago: does it get better?  No.  No it does not.  Then add my wacky fun family, a wedding, and really nice weather and you've got yourself a Happy Healthy Heather.  Just so you know, that's a good thing. :)

Chicago gave me a big ole high five last week.  Thanks Chicago!  Back atcha!

I had two main concerns before going on vacation:

Concern Numero 1: Clean eating. I was flying, so my capacity for bringing food with me was limited.  Relying on other people or sources for good clean eats stresses me out, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of access to the good stuff so I wouldn't spend my vacation like some kind of junkie looking for a fix.  So I packed my little ziplocks of oatmeal and almonds, stocked up on Lara bars, and walked to the grocery store first thing.  It was a great way to pass the time while I was waiting for our luggage to arrive.

The next day. 

Yeah, it was that kind of trip.

Concern Numero 2: Exercise. I wanted some. Correction: I wanted lots.  I knew those packs of oatmeal and almonds would only get me so far, and then someone would open the wine.  And there would be crackers.  And there would be pizza.  And there would be pie. And as it turned out, there were all of those things. It's almost as if I have traveled with these people before.

So I walked to the grocery store and carried the groceries back. I got up the next morning and ran 5 miles.  The next day I ran seven miles and walked all over the city.  I carried my kid around, wore a backpack, and went the long way everywhere.  I even took the stairs in the hotel all the way up to the 16th floor.  And when I uploaded my GoWearFit, it rewarded me with nice big numbers that made up for all the pie.

And it was really, really nice.

Tomorrow I'll post pics of my gorgeous run along Lake Michigan under the lights of the city.  For now, I'm still reveling in the fact that I am back from a week of vacation and I didn't take a step back in my wellness. 

Thanks Chicago!  I'll be back soon!

Good day!

No comments: