Friday, September 10, 2010

Leaps and Bounds: Functional Training

Not me. Please. My hair is WAY shorter.
One thing I can really appreciate in the gym is functional training.  Luckily, my new trainer Justin has loads of it.  Today's workout was a perfect example of the kind of functional cross-training that is needed for...

Tri-Fit FRIDAY!

Yay! Plyometrics! 

If you're not familiar with tri-fit, its a sport that combines strength, agility, speed, and bedazzling, all of which convene in one weekend of endorphin-fueled competitions of skill and endurance perfect for ADD athletic types everywhere. You can read more here.  I suck at pretty much all of it but dang, it sure is fun!

ANYWAY, today's workout was a great tri-fit workout.  I started out with some sprint intervals, and then we moved on to some compound exercises, which was a nice break.

Then we went totally old school with a bunch of drills:

jumping split squats (I haaaaaate these)

and these little "three forward jumps, one big backwards jump" things that we did both forward and laterally. That was fun as long as I didn't look in the mirror and lose my balance.

All in all, it was a great start to the weekend!  Check out the links above and give some of these exercises a try, or visit this website for lots of good video examples of plyometric training.  If you like them, do some more!  It's just that easy, folks.  You just DO IT.

Good day!

No comments: