Friday, September 17, 2010

Holy Major Muscle Loss, Batman!

Well folks, it's been a busy week in Healthy Heather Land. Between work, the mom/wife thing, speaking, and training, I've been as antsy as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.  So it is glad to have a few moments to sit here and write to you.  Ahhhhh.......

But what's been really nice is that throughout all of this craziness happening during the daylight hours, my early am workouts have been stupendous.  Great running, great plyometric training, great interval traininer, just great!  Until I go to lift weights. 

And then....not so great.

In the past few months I have focused so much on endurance training, plyo, agility, etc. that my weight training has really suffered.  I had noticed (and mourned) the lack of definition in my arms and made a mental note to do something about it, but until I actually started incorporating more weights into my workout, I didn't realize how weak I had really gotten.

I am proud of how much I can lift!  I am not super-strong, but I have always gotten a kick out of being able to out-lift the guys and go low reps/heavy weight.  It's fun!  But this week I've had to consistently drop my weight down a notch or two.  Not fun! It has been humbling, let me tell you.  It was a wake-up call that while I've been gallivanting around town running and cycling and whatnot, my muscles haven't exactly stood around waiting for me to get back.  How rude.

So I pretty much have my work cut out for me: hit the weights.  After the half-marathon next month, the weights and I will be making up for lost time.  Dead lifts, squats, pyramids, 21s, shoulder presses....I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about it.

One of the coolest things about fitness is that there is always a new project, a new goal, a new milestone.  I can't wait to have my bodacious arms back...and then I am going to give them a good talking to! :)

Good day!  And good weekend!

2 comments:

Dave Sandel said...

Did you know it's really difficult to train long distance and plyometrics congruently? Completely different muscle types and energy systems. Ya'rly!!

Healthy Heather said...

Hi dave! Thanks for the comment. :) I know, that's why I like to do it. I figure my gains in each are a little slower as a result, but its balanced out by the fun I have with the variety and challenge. I like both so I don't like to choose between them! :)