Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eat Simple Challenge: Day Three (and when to buy organic)

It's Day Three of the Eat Simple Challenge and I am still keeping tabs on my package-opened ratio when I eat. Yesterday I did pretty much the same as Day One except I added:
  • Olive-oil Mayonnaise. I know, it's a pregnancy thing.
  • A package of Naan that I use for pizza crust.

Obviously I can do without mayonnaise and I can make my own pizza crust!  I'm realizing that for the most part, the packages I open are mostly based on convenience. With a little time in the kitchen, I can easily eliminate these. Hmmmm....a flip-down tv in my kitchen permanently tuned to HGTV sounds good about now. :)

As you're thinking about the pros and cons of tossing packaged foods and eating more produce, consider this update from the Environmental Working Group's 2011 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides. How many of the fruits and veggies on the Dirty Dozen list are faves of your family? Print it out and bring it with you the next time you shop so you can be aware of when to spring for organic produce!

And as always, get out there and get healthy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Heather! Go organic! (another good thing about choosing organic, you can be sure that its not GMO -- Genetically Modified Organisms. For more info on that go to: http://responsibletechnology.org/ )
Keep up the good work!