Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Things I Thought I Knew

If I knew then what I know now.... man I could have saved myself a lot of heartache!  Haven't you said that a few times in your life?  Lately it seems like time has been tapping me on the shoulder, inviting me to look back with a bemused expression and shake my head at the stuff I used to think I was so smart about. Today, a trip down memory lane to reminisce about how stupid I once was...and wonder what I am being stupid about now.

Things I used to 100% know were 100% right (but weren't)

1. A cheat meal is a good idea.  Some people can get away with this, but not me. I used to give myself a "cheat day," and then I wised up and realized that if I feel like I need to cheat on my nutrition plan, something is not balanced. Cheat days only cheat me.  Balanced, clean, non-erratic nutrition is worth the hassle.

2. I can catch up on my sleep....someday.  I used to think sleep was just a "nice to have." Now I know it is non-negotiable. Sure, I feel like a lightweight crawling under the covers at 9:15 every night, but my training, mental clarity, and metabolism are infinitely better as a result. Plus, being yelled at by an emergency room doc because I've run myself into the ground again is no picnic. Sleep is easier. 

3. A calorie is a calorie.  I've lost weight eating candy and junk, and it can work temporarily. Then I lost it again the right way and it's stayed off. Processed food is garbage and will make you feel like garbage when you eat it.  Thanks to some wisdom and the tough love of a universe that kept giving me one more chance, I know better now. Eat real food in appropriate portions and watch your life improve dramatically!

4. Thin = fit.  I used to think that if I could just get into a smaller size, that would mean I was fit.  Or, that even if I was able to accomplish feats of strength, I wasn't truly fit if I wasn't a size 2.  Oh, youth. Now I can not only appreciate (a little) more the *ahem* "curves" of my body, I have met women who can out-run, out-lift, out-everything me...and they are no skinny minnies.  I also know some skinny minnies who can't walk a block. Body composition is important to health, but it isn't the holy grail I used to think it was.  And thank God for that, am I right ladies?

I'm thinking about these things lately because my life is changing. I'm reminded of what I used to think was 100% certain, and forced to think about what else I am assuming is certain and may not be.  I'm glad to see these lessons now because it means I am part of a cycle in which change is embraced and rewarded.  Which is a good thing because I am about to throw down with some change.

...and I can't wait to find out what else I've been wrong about. :)

Good day!

1 comment:

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Wow, I could have written this post! AMEN to ALL of those!