Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How to Not Eat Crap

The new USDA Dietary Guidelines have been released, and what a shock, they're advising us to all stop eating so much junk.  Specifically, salt and sugar. I'm sure that next week Taco Bell, McDonald's, and all the others will unveil brand new menu items that are lower in salt and sugar, revealing what we've known all along but didn't want to admit:

It IS possible to eat healthy after all!  Whaaat?  I know, freaky! 

I know that for a lot of people, decreasing salt and sugar in food is scary because it means sacrificing taste.  And in a way, it does.  Food does taste different without salt and sugar. I think it tastes better, but that's probably because I've been doing it for so long that I've forgotten what crappy food tastes like until I eat it and feel sick. It was a serious adjustment at first. Salt was no biggie but sugar...woah. Sugar addiction is no joke and quitting it is HARD.  For real hard. Like, super difficult to the max. I am so not kidding.

But its really important and totally worth it.  Here's how to do it:

Stop eating processed foods.

I know, there should be more there.  There should be some kind of plan, right?  I could make one, but I'd just be fooling you.  The only way to cut your dependance on salt and sugar is to stop eating it.  It will suck really really bad at first.  Then it will be a little less sucky. Then it will become something you're glad you did. And after a few weeks, you will be building your soapbox and preaching on street corners about how you changed your life through clean eating. Or you'll start a blog, whatever.

The point is that the government has it right on this one - we need to eat better and the only way to do that is to eat better.  Here's the good news - your taste buds are like the honor society of your body. They're fast learners and they do their homework every single day!  They'll pick up really fast on the new and improved routine, they'll remember how great they felt when you fed them healthier food, and they'll begin to crave it after just a couple weeks.  So stop doubting them. They're smarter than you think.

Oh, and about those Taco Bell and McDonald's ads telling you about how suddenly their food is so healthy...they're just saying that so you'll buy it. 

Good day!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

For years I've been living by the mantra of shopping the perimeter of the grocery store: produce, dairy, meats and seafood. Avoid the aisles except to purchase whole grain cereals, brown rice and the like. Processed foods live in the grocery store aisles; if you don't shop there, you won't eat processed foods!

I confess that it helps that I really enjoy cooking and prefer to make my own meals from scratch, rather than a box or bag.

Healthy Heather said...

I agree! If I have to release a vacuum seal to eat something too many times in a day, I start to wonder what I'm doing. LOL