Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thanksgiving Beckons: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles

I've already established that I am not one of those foodie girls who prepares amazing meals with exotic ingredients and impressive-sounding names. But I do enjoy fortifying regular recipes with extra nutrition, which sometimes turns out really well and sometimes ends up in the "better luck next time" department (AKA the trash can). But today my refrigerator foraging created something good!

My sweet first-grade son asked me this morning to make waffles for breakfast, and how could I resist? The setting was perfect: it was a cold morning, I had Christmas music playing (yes I'm one of Those People), and I already had everything out anyway because I had just baked a batch of pumpkin muffins (while balancing a clingy baby on my hip thankyouverymuch). But as I started mixing the ingredients, I spied some leftover pumpkin from the muffins. In it went. Pumpkin is not only a great source of fiber, but it is also rich in vitamins and just plain yummy.


I served up the waffles without revealing my hidden ingredient. But my husband knows better than that. As he drizzled syrup across his plate he casually asked, "so....what makes these waffles so great?" :) Luckily, the experiment was a success and the waffles were happily gobbled up in a flash.

Here's the recipe if you want to make some!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles (makes 6 belgian style waffles)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Mix the dry ingredients, and then mix them into the wet ingredients. Allow the batter to sit for about 10 minutes, then pour about 1/3 cup into a hot waffle iron. Best with 100% pure maple syrup and fresh fruit! Each waffle has about 113 calories.

Get out there and get healthy today, even if your family knows you secretly sneak good stuff into their food.

No comments: