Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Taste Test! Bare Bones Marinade = Yummy

It's good.
Chicken. It's a love/hate relationship. It's easy to make and a staple in our dinner rotation. But more often than not, I find myself in this conversation:

Him: What's for dinner?
Me: Chicken.
Him: Oh.
Me: Yeah.

We're underwhelmed. So I'm always on the lookout for new and yummy but clean and easy ways to make chicken. I'm not very good at it.

Then I noticed one of my clean eating peeps, Fit and Clean, has created Bare Bones Marinade, a clean-eating and gluten-free marinade that promises to transport me to bbqs of my youth. That sounded pretty good so I bought some and decided to give it a try! It was $10 for two bottles. I'm glad I got two because I will definitely be using it! It is way good!

Of course I immediately tasted some on my fingertip when it arrived. Tangy, subtle, and yummy. The next day I marinated two chicken breasts in it for a few hours before slapping them on the George Foreman grill for dinner. The verdict? Really quite very delicious and good. I really liked it! My husband even liked it and he is pickier than I am. My son didn't eat any but that's nothing new. But if he had, I think he would have put it on the "not disgusting," list. High praise from a kid who considers Papa John to be the height of culinary prowess.

Last night I decided to drizzle a little on my turkey burger. But I forgot that the bottle is pretty big and accidentally poured out a lot. No biggie. It was really good and not overpowering. I was even able to enjoy eating my turkey burger despite the fact that I was also holding a wiggly baby and trying to feed him pureed green beans at the same time.  For like, two seconds, I was able shove some food into my mouth and think, "wow, this actually tastes pretty good." Then my brain was taken over again by mommying duties.

The ingredients of Bare Bones Marinade are clean and Healthy-Heather approved: Apple Cider Vinegar, Canola oil, Salt, Garlic, Poultry Seasoning, Onion Powder, Oregano, Thyme, Natural Vegetable Gums, Lemon Peel, White Pepper, and Caramel Color. Okay, so yes that is more than one ingredient, sue me. LOL There are 50 calories for a 2-tablespoon serving, which is more than enough for me.

When we unearth our bbq grill and actually do some outdoor cooking, I'm looking forward to using it again! Thanks to the Bare Bones gang for cooking it up and making it easy for me to get out there and get healthy!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I like to marinate skinless boneless and trimmed chicken thighs in the following (I measure by sight, sorry):

freshly minced garlic (a few cloves), low sodium soy sauce, a splash of sesame oil, a large squirt or two of ketchup, chili powder, dry mustard powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper, ground ginger (or freshly grated, if you have it).

Whisk all ingredients together in a glass or Corningware bowl. Marinate chicken thighs for several hours in the fridge. I imagine that this marinade would work for chicken breast, too; the thighs tend to stay more moist on the grill.

Grill and enjoy!