Friday, May 6, 2011

Does your wellness need a bodyguard? Protect it!

This week has been about the influences around us that can pull us in either direction on the wellness path: towards increased health and vitality or away from it.  We've talked about the negative influences of the media, and creating positive influences from the people and other outlets around us.  Today, it's time to put on our game faces and talk about the real-life people who just plain refuse to believe that we really honestly not only want to be healthy, but intend to against all odds.

I am talking about feeders.

Feeders can very easily seem like nice, well-meaning people... until they decide to stop and get doughnuts on the way to work and plop one on your desk. They'll use guilt, peer pressure, and sometimes intimidation to entice you to entertain them by going "off your diet," and eating whatever confection they've created. 

But the thing is, we're not on a diet, are we?  No, this is your health for life. And the truth is that while one doughnut will not catapult you into a life of depravity, if it's not in your wellness plan then it's just not in your wellness plan and that's all there is to it.  Feeders have a hard time accepting this, but they just cannot believe that you meant what you said about maintaining your weight loss and eating healthy. 

Do you know a feeder?  Are you one?  Don't worry - your wellness goals are your goals and not up for negotiation.  You meant it when you set (and achieved) your wellness goals, and no one has to believe you but you.

Go protect them.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I just stumbled across your website and love it. And yes, my workplace is full of feeders! It's so frustrating explaining over and over again that I don't eat sugary, processed 'food'. And don't get me started on how many times I've heard the polite comment - 'But you don't need to lose weight.' Ummm, yes, but I'd like to live healthily and not drop dead from heart disease or diabetes, thanks.

I look forward to reading more of your blogs soon.

Healthy Heather said...

Jolene, thanks for reading and your comment! I agree, I get that all the time, "oh you don't need to lose weight..." I never said I need to lose weight. I'm trying not to *gain* it. That's not even considering the fact that our health goes way beyond our weight.

Thanks for reading! I hope you will continue to stumble!

Jacob Bastomski said...

Finding this site made all the work I did to find it look like nothing. The reason being that this is such an informative post.
I wanted to thank you for this detailed analysis of the subject. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I submitted
your site to some of the biggest social networks so others can find your blog.

Back To Health Wellness Center