Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Half-Marathon Primping


Having a picture taken mid-run is
so glamorous. LOL Credit for this goes
to Herb Wills of Trouble Afoot.
So it seems ironic that in this week of body-image and positive self-talk, I have caught myself thinking about a little piece of prep-work in advance of a half marathon I am running in a few weeks: primping for the photos.
Now, not many people look hip and stylish at the end of a race, and I am definitely not one of them. I look exactly as I should - hot, sweaty, worn out, thirsty, and manically hungry.  Not a good look for most people but I give it my all.

And when I see photos of myself in mid-run, I cringe. Not because of negative self-talk or poor body image - because of what I choose to wear!  I don't usually get myself all gussied up for a workout, but I think I may need to start trying a little harder for actual races that take place in daylight and have spectators. Maybe something that doesn't have holes.  You know that old running mantra, "don't race in new gear?"  I need to start doing that.

So I've been doing my half-marathon primping. I consider it a way to build up the anticipation of a race and get psyched.  I got some spiffy new running tights for Christmas, my favorite and not-quite-shabby-yet wicking shirt, and maybe this time I'll wear a hat that doesn't already have permanent sweat stains (and smells) on it.  That would probably be appreciated by my fellow runners.

I don't have a witty ending to this post. I've been wracking my brain for something cute to say here, but I've got nothing.  :)  Today my blog just is what it isn't.

Kinda like my exercise fashion sense.


Good day!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I admit that I think about this too! Those darn pictures are around forever so I think about what I'm going to wear that day. My husband teases me that it's just a big fashion show!

Jessica (Fit and Clean) said...

I'm training for my first half, but I have pics of mid-run and they are not pretty either. I wore sunglasses one year that kept sliding down my nose! LMAO I have to figure out what I'm going to wear as well. In Atlanta it'll be kind of warm and it is at the end of March.

Healthy Heather said...

Yeah, I keep looking around me and thinking, "these girls look really cute!" I can't promise I will follow through on it, but I may stick a thing of Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in my car that morning at least! LOL

And good luck Jessica!

Bethany said...

I personally love your "jazz hands" in this photo!
And I recommend running skirts! They are super cute and super comfy.

Jill Marie said...

I love the non-matching socks. It's a good look! I just don't let people take pictures of me - the school pictures are bad enough!