Friday, September 14, 2012

Homemade Hot Pockets! Kinda!

One nice thing about having a baby around is that we don't have leftovers anymore. I spent years training myself to cook less food because the leftovers went to waste, but now I have a welcoming repository for them: my baby's tummy. And this week, I impressed myself by taking a collection of leftovers and making them into what turned out to be pretty much homemade hot pockets.

I've always admired those people who turn one meal into several by just rearranging leftovers. And this week I was one of them! I had a leftover bbq chicken breast from the night before, and more homemade pizza crust than I could fit on the pan for that night's dinner. After foraging around in the fridge for a few more things, I made these chicken wrap-ups that will be the perfect thing for his little lunchbox. Here's what I did:

Ingredients
A bunch of spinach, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
Some red onion, chopped
1 grilled boneless chicken breast, chopped
About 1/2 a cup plain yogurt (I used Oikos Greek)
About 1/4 cup sour cream
Whole wheat pizza-style crust (I use this recipe to make pizza crust at home and it works well)

Directions
1. Sauté the spinach, celery, and onion in a pan until they are cooked through. Since I was making this for my baby, I made them really tender. You can use your own discretion.

2. While that's cooking, mix the chicken, yogurt, and sour cream in a bowl. This is essentially chicken salad. Add salt, pepper, whatever you think will be good. I put in some cajun seasoning 'cause my baby likes the spice y'all.

3. Roll out your dough and use a biscuit cutter (or a glass, like I do) to make little crusts. In retrospect, these were a little too small so for bigger appetites use something bigger, like a bowl, to make your cut-outs.

4. Put a dollop of your chicken salad on the dough and fold it over! I used a fork to press the edges together so it would stay closed in the oven.

5. Spray a  pan and lay them out. Bake at 450 for about 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown on top. 

6. Enjoy! You have just made homemade hot pockets!


You could fill them with anything, but of course I would recommend not going the pizza/cheese/meat route. Egg whites scrambled with spinach and onion might be a nice idea! Or, apples with cinnamon and chopped pecans would warm a crisp fall afternoon. 

Get out there and get healthy with your leftovers!

No comments: