Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Comfort Food: Breakfast for Dinner!

It's Comfort Food Week here on the bloggity blog, as I recap my week of fighting the Death Cold with the power of good nutrition. Yesterday I shared my "well duh" recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup. It made me feel good enough to attempt something a little more complicated.

Fortified by the soup, I started feeling up to making for for other people. Like, dinner. Breakfast for dinner, that is! We love breakfast for dinner at our house, complete with pancakes or waffles, scrambled eggs, grits, and bacon. There are a few easy things I do to healthify this potential calorie coma.

Breakfast for Dinner Healthy Heather Style!
1. I make my Half-n-Half Scrambled Eggs. That means half whole eggs and half just whites. Whisk with some low fat milk, add salt and pepper, and you have fluffy scrambled eggs with less fat and cholesterol. Egg yolks are nutritious and delicious, but I like my Half-n-Half Eggs!

2. I buy Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon because it is nitrate-and-other-icky-stuff free.

3. We use Hodgson Mills Buttermilk Pancake mix because it doesn't have the additives of other brands. I'll be honest, I don't love this mix. It's a little gritty. But I'm overlooking that until I find something better. I add orange zest, cinnamon, and vanilla to my mix for flavor and punch.

4. I weigh my portions. 130 grams of eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 50 grams of grits with 10 grams of cheddar cheese, and 100 grams of pancakes. I also measure out 2 teaspoons of 100% pure maple syrup with my teaspoon! It's a great way to enjoy a rich meal without going overboard.

Speaking of breakfast...

When I have company in town, we always like to make a big breakfast. And while I love making biscuits and cinnamon rolls from scratch (not), there are times when convenience trumps authenticity. In those cases, I turn to the Immaculate Baking Company. 


Caution: these are not all healthy foods! 

No, no, no, no, no. Cinnamon rolls are not good for you, I just want to be clear. BUT. If you long to hear the pop of a vacuum seal, skip the bad stuff in other commercial products and look for Immaculate. They used to only be found in higher-end grocery stores but are now available at Wal-Mart. 

Having breakfast for dinner is comfort food all the way. In fact, we get comfy every week we like it so much! But what really thrills me is that I can have this cozy meal without feeling like I applied the pancakes directly to my middle. That's code for gaining weight.

Next time, one of my favorite comforts: Black Bean Jambalaya. Part black beans and rice, part jambalaya, all healthy!

Get out there and get healthy today, even if you eat cinnamon rolls.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

You don't have to buy pancake mix. Believe it or not, it's fairly easy to make pancakes from scratch. I followed this recipe from Mark Bittman and used all purpose flour in place of whole wheat to avoid having to separate the eggs, and the pancakes came out great!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00EEDD1630F935A25752C0A96E9C8B63&fta=y

I skipped the cardamom and coriander and used only cinnamon, too.