Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Lasagna Everyone Wants to Know About

I make a mean lasagna. It's really, really good. I make it for people when they have babies or surgery or some other life event that is accompanied by comfort food. Since I've recently had friends who have had surgery and had babies, I've been making a lot of lasagna.

I think a lot of times people think I must be this really great cook because I like healthy food, but I'm not. I'm average. So when people ask for my "recipes" for stuff, I worry that they'll be disappointed in the simplicity of what I make. There are no exotic ingredients, no secrets, and not much wow factor. I'm not a foodie, I just make food. But, whenever I make lasagna people want the recipe so here it is!

Healthy Heather's Super Easy Lasagna

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground turkey breast 
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 1 jar of crushed tomatoes (a big one, like 24 ounces)
  • Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper
  • 1/2 package of 100% whole wheat lasagna noodles
  • 1 bag of fresh spinach
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese


Directions
Cook the turkey in a large, deep skillet and then drain it to wash away any grease. There probably isn't any but do it anyway.

Then add your chopped onion and cook until the onions are almost clear. Add in your tomatoes, season it up with garlic, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning until it tastes good to you.

Then let it simmer until most of the liquid is gone and it is almost like chili. This might take a while so go run a few miles, do some burpees and some high knees, and come back after you're done with all that.

Mix your ricotta cheese with the parmesan cheese, add in some dried basil and garlic, and set it aside. Try very very hard not to taste this because once you do you will want to eat it with a spoon!

Next boil a big pot of water and cook the noodles. 9 noodles does the trick for me, as I put my lasagna in an 8x8 pan and that's enough for three layers. But you can use less or more depending on the size of your pan. See how I am not a good cook? I'm just winging it here.

Anyway, once the noodles are cooked and your sauce is nice and thick, it's time to layer. I start with a layer of noodles, then spoon some sauce over them. Since the sauce is thick, I spoon it in 9 little spots on the noodles, three across each one like where you would cut a piece. Put a thin sprinkling of mozzarella cheese, and then cover the sauce/mozzarella layer with a nice layer of spinach. Next comes the ricotta/parmesan cheese mixture, and I do the same thing with the three spoonfuls across each noodle, nine total. Then, start again! Noodle, sauce, mozzarella, spinach, ricotta. Then a third time. Eventually you'll run out of ingredients and you're done. Put some more mozzarella cheese on top, sprinkle some Italian seasoning over it, and viola! You have a lasagna.

Bake it at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it is all bubbly and looks done. Serve with a ginormous salad of spinach, tomatoes, banana peppers, red onion, kalamata olives (just a few!), cucumbers, and a sprinkling of feta cheese. That's so you don't eat too much lasagna. :)

It's not bad nutrition-wise: about 250 calories per serving! It's hearty, delicious, and definitely comforting. I'm glad people like it so much! 

Get out there and get healthy today, even if you eat lasagna. :)

No comments: