Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mardi Gras Half Marathon Recap!

I did it! The Mardi Gras Half Marathon was last weekend and it was such a great experience. My full recap will be in an upcoming GetFitPod blog, but here are the highlights:


1. The speed training paid off BIG TIME. For the month between the Tallahassee Half and this one, I really worked hard on getting faster. My main motivation? Not being embarrassed when I couldn't keep up with my sister! So I worked to consistently run a little faster every workout, which meant pushing that stroller up hills and down streets, shaving 5 seconds here, 15 seconds there, until I felt myself becoming more and more conditioned. It worked. On race day we kept to an easy 9:30 pace for most of the run and it felt easy. Yay!


2. Guess who beat their brother? My sister and I managed to eek out a bittersweet victory over our brother, which has been a goal of mine for a while. But, we can't enjoy it too much, because his loss was due to painful shoes that slowed him down. It was hard to lord our win over him when he was in so much pain. But we still managed to do it.


My brother and sister are awesome even when they're sweaty.


3. I have the best husband in the world. He has scarified a lot of time and been so flexible and accommodating to me as I train, and I am really lucky to have him! I think he's glad I don't have anything coming in the near future though. :)


More to come! 


Get out there and get healthy today!

1 comment:

'Drea said...

That's so cool that you and your siblings race together and that they motivate you to run faster.

The husband also sounds pretty cool.

Congrats on meeting your race goals.