Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pollen: The Anti-Heather

Dear Pollen: I hate you.
The pollen is here. My car is blanketed in a yellow film of anti-Heather, my head feels like it is being squeezed in a vice, my throat is scratchy, and my ears itch. 

Why do trees hate me so much?  

It started creeping in on Saturday, and by today I am waving the white flag. This morning, during my workout with Roger, I actually stopped, put down my weights, and sat down. After a few minutes of watching Roger exercise all by himself, I went back to bed.

I broke the news gently to the baby that we would not be running today. He was cool with it, but I felt sucky. I have a half marathon in a week and was hoping for five miles today, six tomorrow, and 10 on Saturday before I take a week to taper off. I've got my fingers crossed that if I rest today, I can still salvage at least one of those runs!

A good friend of mine recently recovered from a  killer sinus infection and woefully lamented that she should have, "done what she needed to do when she needed to do it." Meaning, rest when she started feeling sick, not when she was forced to because her body shut down. As a repeat offender of wearing myself down to nothing and then taking three times longer than necessary to recover, I readily agreed. But now that I have to follow that advice myself, it feels like crap!

So, I had a heart to heart with myself this morning. I've been on such a great weight loss and training trend for the past few weeks and slowing down now is the exact opposite of what I want to do. But if the worst thing that happens this week is that I maintain, big whoop. I'll be stronger, faster, and (duh) healthier if I take a knee now and chill. Sucking it up had commenced.

Could it be that I am evolving???

I hope you get out there and get healthy today. And make a mean face at a tree for me!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

If you're still nursing, I assume you can't (and shouldn't) take any antihistamines.

So--have you bought yourself a Neti Pot yet? Warm saline does help reduce sinus inflammation and is recommended for allergy sufferers.

I own this one (I think I purchased at Whole Foods?) and swear by it: http://www.neti-pot.com/ingr/ingr251100.cfm

Good luck with your allergies and your half marathon!

Healthy Heather said...

Thanks Ellen! Yes, the sinus rinse needs to be up there in the hall of fame. It's America's most disgusting pastime, but well worth the gross factor!