Wednesday, March 2, 2011

McDonald's doesn't give a crap about your health. But I do.

Today I'm all jazzed up about fast food.  Specifically, the new "healthier" options that are offered by McDonald's.  Please, please, please don't fall for this.  Fast food is rarely, if ever, healthy and always, consistently and without a doubt, cheap food designed for maximum profit.

You deserve better than that.

I had heard recently that McDonald's was selling "oatmeal," in its stores and even saw on Twitter where someone exclaimed that their oatmeal had more sugar than a Snickers bar. I never went to find out if that was true, but then a friend sent me this article that explained the whole story.  Reading it made me angry, then sad, then resigned to the fact that if you want to eat clean and you don't want to just eat fruits, vegetables, and meat you kill on your own, reading ingredients is a way of life.

Luckily, it's easy.  Here's how you do it:

1. Pick up the item you are considering eating.
2. Flip over the package to see the list of ingredients.  Not the food label.  The actual items used to make the product.
3. Look for two main things: the length of the list and the pronouncability of the words. The list should be short, and the words should be actual foods that you would find in your kitchen.
4. Decide whether those are things you want to eat.

You can go crazy trying to decipher what some ingredients are, and that's primarily why I stopped eating processed foods. I have enough crazy in my life!  I keep it simple and eat a lot of real foods: eggs, vegetables, fruits, natural meats, and for grain products I primarily buy from Food For Life and Barbara's Bakery, both of which are found at most grocery stores.

People tell me all the time that they don't have time to eat healthy or figure out what's healthy and what's not. That's insane. It takes absolutely no time and very little energy at all to realize that eating produce and lean meats is healthier than processed foods.  They just don't want to.

And that's fine.  Just don't go around believing that just because a company tells you their product is healthy that it actually is.  Read the ingredients and decide for yourself.

McDonald's doesn't care about your health.  I do. Listen to me instead. :)

Good day!

No comments: