Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions? You know it!

You may have noticed that I didn't update my blog on Monday like I usually do. Or maybe you didn't. Maybe you have other things going on in your life besides reading this blog and whether or not I went to the gym or if my foot hurts or if I am happy or sad is of no consequence to you and you were glad for a break from my constant self-absorbed babble.

Oh come on. We know that's not true!

Actually, I almost did write my blog on Monday and I stopped. I didn't have anything great to say, and I wanted to try something new - something called "not being an obsessive psycho." I decided to take a break. So I folded my arms behind my head, stretched my legs, leaned back in my chair, and took a week off.

And then I realized that I have written in this blog every week for a whole year and to stop on the last one would just be the kind of irony that I could not tolerate. So I started thinking of something to write. I went for the obvious. Duh: resolutions.

Everyone makes resolutions but who really keeps them? I really try to. Last year I resolved to not eat any more fast food, even the "healthy" stuff. That was pretty easy. I also made my annual resolution to stop talking so much but that didn't go as well.

So this year I have a few fitness-related resolutions:

1. Get certified. I've got the books for my Personal Trainer and Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant certifications and my goal is to achieve both of these in 2009. Break out the flash cards, we're gonna study.

2. Speak into the megaphone. I talk a lot, that is not news. But this year, I want to make sure that what I say is actually meaningful and heard by people who want to live healthier lives with me. So I am trying to build an audience for my daily Twitter feed and developing a website to link to good resources and avoid having to repeat myself so often.

3. Compete. That's what started this whole thing, and I still haven't done it. Needless to say, it needs to happen. I would also like to finish with my dignity intact. And by "dignity" I don't mean internet stardom from being known as the girl who landed on her face in a pile of mud while trying to cross the monkey bars in a timed event that is later turned into a Japanese game show.

4. Get stronger. I know someone who likes to say, "it's not how much you can lift, it's how much you look like you can lift." I don't agree. Asthetics are nice, but I want to actually be strong. So while I still have my foundation goal of reaching my MGP in body composition, muscle development, and tone, I want to focus 2009 on developing the skills and strength to put my money where my mouth is. I want to jump on that *&%$ing box 50 times in row. And do one-armed push-ups. Not at the same time.

I think that's enough. How about you? Leave a comment and share your goals and resolutions for 2009.

Thanks to you all for being so supportive of me in sharing this part of my life. It's sometimes been hard to face the reality of my habits and consequences of my choices, but knowing that I have to share it here has made me more aware of them. I feel like I am healthier in a lot of ways for having "put myself out there," and have been overwhelmed by the response from people who have been inspired to start their own journey to a healthier version of themselves. Take care of yourself and make 2009 a healthy year!

No comments: