Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Healthy Halloween (no tricks!)

BOO! 

It's Halloween, so naturally everyone is asking me whether I plan to torture my child by not letting him collect any candy or if I will throw it all away as soon as he gets home. The answer to both is no. While I do cringe and want to run away when I see him eating candy by the bagful, it's just one of those things I have to accept as a mom and let go of. I'm over it.

But, I die a little inside at the thought of actively supplying children with candy. It is something that I have a harder and harder time with as I see our national obesity, diabetes, and sugar addiction problems get worse. So, I won't be handing candy out tonight. Instead, I've loaded up on plenty of Halloween treats that are still sure to please: Halloween tattoos, bat and spider rings, pencils, and stickers. I may not be the cool mom, but I can sleep tonight.

All treats, no tricks!

Remember, candy is optional. I remember a time not too long ago when I just threw my hands up in defeat as soon as Halloween candy came around. I knew I was going to eat it, it was just a given. But over time I've come to learn that doing that made me feel terrible both physically (because that stuff is just garbage) and mentally (because I was frustrated at my lack of self control). Since I have detoxed from sugar, I am very glad to say that Halloween candy is a non-issue for me. It feels incredible, in case you were wondering.

I have never regretted having a healthy day. I have always regretted eating a mini Snickers. For those of you out there who can eat candy today and carry on as normal tomorrow, I applaud you. I am not so evolved! For those of you who cannot, join me in having a candy-free day.

Still fun!

Still spooky!

Still happy!

Just without the sugar withdrawals tomorrow.

Get out there and get healthy today....even though it's Halloween.

No comments: