Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Comfort Food: Healthy Heather's Chicken Noodle Soup

So last week I was at death's door. Okay, I actually only had a cold, but it felt like death. Between the sinus pain, the lack of exercise, and my refusal to take medication as a breastfeeding mom, I was a real joy to be around. Yeah.

Luckily, I had a couple of tricks up my sleeve to soothe a healthy sicko's soul: comfort food, healthified. So I am designating this Comfort Food Week and sharing my best recipes (*ahem* if you can call them that) that help me feel better when I need a boost. 

In my frail and fragile condition, I needed something fast and easy. So I made soup. It was so easy that I could get it going in about five minutes, which is about how long it took before I started complaining about being sick again anyway. So, without further ado, here it is! My simple, easy Chicken Soup recipe!

Chicken Noodle Soup
Ingredients
2 boneless chicken breasts (I had a couple frozen ones that I tossed in a big pot)
About 6-8 cups water
Two large carrots, chopped
Two celery stalks, chopped
A small red onion, chopped
2 cups whole wheat pasta
Cayanne pepper
Salt and pepper and whatever other seasoning sounds good

Directions
Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil. Once the chicken is cooked through, shred and return to the pot. Then simmer to thicken until it looks good to you.

I ate about two pots of this last week. It felt soooooo good. For some reason, I could not taste anything I ate last week except when I had this soup. Season it up with whatever you like; since there is no stock or bouillon in it, it may not be as salty or flavorful as you'd expect. Get over it. Bouillon is not good for you.

As the week went on, and as I downed more soup, I began to feel better. Eventually I even felt good enough to cook food for other people. My week of comfort food continues tomorrow with my healthified breakfast for dinner and ultra-fave recipe for Black Bean Jambalaya!

Get out there and get healthy today. I am really glad I did!

No comments: